Introduction to Speer Mechanical
Founded in 1927 and serving the Central Ohio area for more than 95 years, Speer Mechanical is the building owner’s and manager’s single source, full service mechanical contractor for reliable and efficient operation of commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings. Your locally preferred mechanical contractor, Speer Mechanical leads the market in offering an entire scope of mechanical contracting services for every stage of a building’s lifecycle—design, construction, energy, and service.
We pride ourselves on our quality of work, relationship-oriented service (both internal and external), and our commitment to create a work environment that fosters trust, encouragement, respect, and continuous improvement.
We could tell you things like historically we have had very low turnover. In addition, we have had multi generations of the same families work here many times (to the 3rd generations in a couple of occasions).
But this is why we think our employees WANT to work here, and why we are not your average employer:
- We are committed to introducing new people to the industry.
- We believe in the development of staff. We have a responsibility to provide training and staff development in both technical and interpersonal skills. But the employee also has a responsibility to ongoing learning, so we look for those kinds of people who understand this mutual responsibility.
- We are committed to promoting from within. All of our executive leadership team has been a long term, promoted Speer person. It has been a long time since we recruited a high-level manager.
- We work hard to live day by day to our core values.
- We do what is right, by our people, and by our customers.
- We are an employee-owned company. Our ESOP is one of the oldest and most established in central Ohio.
- We are committed to industry and community affairs. We believe that we have a responsibility to make our industry and community better, and our people are encouraged to be part of this, and they do participate.
- We set high standards of performance, but we also work to help people reach those standards.
- We are clearly perceived to be an industry leader.
Engineer and design HVAC, plumbing, and controls related projects. Detail-oriented, analytical, quality focused, self-starter who is responsible to provide engineering support to the sales and operational staff as necessary to achieve sales and operational goals.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) in engineering from four-year college or university and 5 years related experience in design engineering or field operations.
- Excellent computer skills are required including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office platform (including Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, etc), Autodesk suite of BIM software (including Navisworks, AutoCAD, TSI, etc. as well as scanning and Trimble plotting), company selected energy modeling software, and company selected load calculation software.
- Service and maintain accounts as assigned for sales opportunities. Attend sales meetings; update open sales leads and plan for action to close work.
- Assist sales and project management personnel as necessary on design related questions.
- Prepare preliminary conceptual design including CAD drawings and scope narrative in pre-construction phase. Coordinate estimating requirements with Chief Estimator and prepare proposal as assigned from VP Pre-Construction. Participate in proposal presentations to customers.
- After award coordinate turnover to project management. Clearly explain and document scope to the project manager. Assist project manager in pre-planning activities as required.
- Complete design on project in conjunction with input from the project manager. Manage completion of drawings and specs to accomplish plan review and permitting through construction drawing requirements.
- Review all material and equipment submittals for design compliance.
- Conduct periodic jobsite visits to commission job as planned with project management. Maintain quality and project design standards.
- Conduct final punch list inspection at project completion and assist project management as necessary with owner training and turnover.
- Take primary responsibility and provide technical lead support to sales and operations staff within the following assigned technical areas:
- AutoCAD & BIM design
- Facility Audits
- Energy Calculations
- Other as assigned
- Cross sell other departments of the company
- Participate in community and industry activities to promote the organization.
- Wage range based on qualifications & experience.
- Company provided cell phone
- Training and Development available
- Full time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Summary of Benefits
- Comprehensive health insurance – 100% of premium is funded by Speer provided the employee & spouse (if applicable) meet annual wellness initiatives. Note that this is fluid and may change in the future depending on changing health care regulations and structure.
- ESOP plan – retirement plan funded 100% by Speer, providing shares of Speer stock.
- 401K Plan allows for voluntary retirement contributions. Speer contribution is discretionary based on profitability.
- Health Reimbursement Account – Employee can earn Speer contribution to HRA account to provide cash to offset a portion of annual deductible upon meeting wellness initiatives.
- Flexible Spending Account – allows for voluntary pre-tax contributions to pay for IRS allowed medical and child care expenses.
- Life Insurance – 1x salary up to IRS maximum, premiums paid by Speer. Group rates are available for additional term insurance through payroll deductions.
- Dental insurance is available through group rates and payroll deductions.
- Tuition reimbursement provides 50% reimbursement for tuition to a university or community college for management approved courses and curriculum. Note that seminars and courses directed by management are paid by Speer.
Speer Mechanical is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
Speer Mechanical is a drug free workplace.
Speer Mechanical is dedicated to keeping our work family and community safe by adhering to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) protocol regarding Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19).