Introduction to Speer Mechanical
Founded in 1927 and serving the Central Ohio area for more than 95 years, Speer Mechanical is the building owner’s and manager’s single source, full service mechanical contractor for reliable and efficient operation of commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings. Your locally preferred mechanical contractor, Speer Mechanical leads the market in offering an entire scope of mechanical contracting services for every stage of a building’s lifecycle—design, construction, energy, and service.
We pride ourselves on our quality of work, relationship-oriented service (both internal and external), and our commitment to create a work environment that fosters trust, encouragement, respect, and continuous improvement.
We could tell you things like historically we have had very low turnover. In addition, we have had multi generations of the same families work here many times (to the 3rd generations in a couple of occasions).
But this is why we think our employees WANT to work here, and why we are not your average employer:
- We are committed to introducing new people to the industry.
- We believe in the development of staff. We have a responsibility to provide training and staff development in both technical and interpersonal skills. But the employee also has a responsibility to ongoing learning, so we look for those kinds of people who understand this mutual responsibility.
- We are committed to promoting from within. All of our executive leadership team has been a long term, promoted Speer person. It has been a long time since we recruited a high-level manager.
- We work hard to live day by day to our core values.
- We do what is right, by our people, and by our customers.
- We are an employee-owned company. Our ESOP is one of the oldest and most established in central Ohio.
- We are committed to industry and community affairs. We believe that we have a responsibility to make our industry and community better, and our people are encouraged to be part of this, and they do participate.
- We set high standards of performance, but we also work to help people reach those standards.
- We are clearly perceived to be an industry leader.
As an HVAC Service Technician, you will diagnose, repair, perform service and maintenance tasks on commercial HVAC and refrigeration equipment.
- Previous experience and/or education in HVAC or related fields preferred but not required.
- Ability to work independently and follow directions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt to changes in work environment
- Possess exceptional work ethics
- Valid Ohio Driver’s license with clean driving record
- Ability to pass a background check and random drug testing
- Physically able to perform tasks required
- Universal EPA certification encouraged
- OSHA 10 certification (company can provide if needed)
- Ability to stand, squat, bend, stoop, and comfortability lift to fifty pounds
- Possess a positive, cooperative, and teachable attitude
- Complies and promotes company Safety Policy
- Regular and punctual attendance. Ability to work overtime if needed.
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools to inspect, repair, and maintain HVAC equipment
- Complete preventive maintenance and repairs per work order requirements
- Complete service inspections and asset inspections as needed
- Fully utilizes technology (tablet and smartphone)
- Complete and submit service inspection reports
- Submit timesheets and expense reports
- Obtain necessary materials and supplies to complete all tasks
- Create a positive climate with the customer
- Maintain timely and consistent communications with customer and internal support
- Set and maintain expectations for a safe work environment
- Perform essential functions included but not limited to lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Wage range based on qualifications & experience.
- Company vehicle, gas card, phone and iPad provided
- Uniforms provided
- Training and Development available
- Upon completion of probationary period, become a member of Plumbers and Pipefitters Local Union #189
- Full time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Speer Mechanical is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
Speer Mechanical is a drug free workplace.
Speer Mechanical is dedicated to keeping our work family and community safe by adhering to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) protocol regarding Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19).